Sunday, September 23, 2007

How to get a D200 into 'Bulb' mode

I imagine this wasn't hard to do for most D200 owners. Apparently, I'm not like most D200 owners. It took me a while to figure out how to get the damn thing into Bulb mode.

Here's what to do:

Hold down your Mode button and turn the rear thumb dial (on the right side-top of the back of the camera) until you see the letter M appear in the top lcd display. Let both buttons go. Now you're in Manual mode. Next, and this is the part that took me a while to figure out, you'll need to turn the same rear thumb dial to the left until you see BULB appear in the lcd. This may take a while, depending on how your camera was set before trying this. Don't lose hope... it's in there, you just may need to turn it like 20-30 clicks. The thing is, you probably noticed that if you just start turning the dial, nothing happens. Before your turns actually start doing anything, you have to first activate the auto-focus by either tapping the shutter button halfway or by hitting the "AF-ON" button right to the left of the rear thumb dial. Once you've done one of these, you can start turning the thumb dial and make your way to BULB.

If you're wondering why you would even want to use BULB mode, I use this mode to do long exposure shots at night. It allows me to hold the shutter open for as long as I want, and get cool light-trail effects, which can be seen in the shot below.

6 comments:

yoganmahew said...

Ta very much. I've spent a goodly while trying to figure out just this thing!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the quick learn!

Unknown said...

I have just returned from Barufoss in Northern Norway where I tried to photograph the Northern Lights, I remembered everything except how to get the bulb setting so I tried using the timer setting with mixed results, however your simple explanation has set me up for some great stargazing. ( my wife succeeded with her rotten little compact, I will never live this down)

Thank you.

Unknown said...

You may have posted this in 2007, but you're a life saver for me in 2014!!! My daughter is taking a digital photography class and needed my Nikon D200 mirror and sensor cleaned. I couldn't get to the sensor from explanations on 3 other sites. I used your method and OMG, I was so happy (of course she let me know it needed to be done the night before her next class). Thank you for sharing your knowledge - I can't wait to try it on a night shot.

antman said...

Hi Pat, haha, that's great, I'm glad it was useful to you! I had high hopes back when I started this blog to keep posting content but life got in the way. Glad to know that every once in a while some little tidbit I shared is useful to someone. Thanks for commenting!

Elizabeth Juárez-Brockway said...

Thank you, I've been looking for bulb mode and the manual is useless, this is fantastic!!